It is my great pleasure to acknowledge the nearly 1100 guests that attended this year’s Keno and Clubs Queensland Awards for Excellence at the Brisbane Convention and Exhibition Centre on Tuesday 28 March. Additionally, the awards lift-out in this edition of Club Insight shares some great images from the night for your enjoyment and interest.
I offer my heartfelt congratulations to all those who won their categories on the night (a significant number of clubs and individuals from right across the state), and of course it is appropriate I specifically mention the following…
• Club of the Year – Carina Leagues Club
• Secretary Manager of the Year – Doug Wakefield, Carina Leagues
• Club Director of the Year – Ron Harris, Currumbin Palm Beach RSL & Services Memorial Club Inc.
• Club Chef of the Year – Brook Baillie, Arana Leagues Club
• Young Manager of the Year – Corey Biles, Carina Leagues Club Limited
Success and winning is not something that is achieved overnight. It is all about continual improvement, via focused ‘individual’ and ‘team effort’. Winners have principles, vision and passion, with a preparedness to do whatever it takes. Consistency is also key in achieving this!
All those acknowledged on the night are a testament to the above statement, and I’d encourage you, to congratulate them on their latest recognition. I’ll also add the competition was very close, as conveyed by the finalists scores which makes the awards event even more relevant and exciting.
For those in clubland who did not compete this year, I encourage you to consider entering the 2018 awards event. Not only to be involved on the night, but more so to allow you to independently test your offer against that of your industry more generally. Athletes know, it is not until you compete that you really discover what your skills and training efforts have achieved.
On another subject, the new Clubs Queensland board of 8 (down from 13) is now in place as ratified at the recent AGM. For your reference the following are the current directors...
• Don Seccombe AM, Redlands Sporting Club
Representing the Northern Region
• John McCallum OAM, Brothers Cairns
• Karla Malouf, Townsville RSL
Representing the Central & Western Region
• Tony Castro, The Waves
• Will Schroeder, Yaralla Sports Clubs
Representing the SE Region
• Kelvin Patch, Caboolture Sports Club
• Michael Callaghan, Sunnybank Community & Sports Club
• Dermot McEnroe, BMD Northcliffe SLSC
Finally, the Electoral Commission is also now well advanced in the nomination/election process for 12 new Zone Representatives from across the state. I encourage all those involved in clubland, to step up and contribute to the future of your industry (as a zone representative). Individual input is invaluable, as is the feedback provided from all clubs in your relevant zone. If you have not yet nominated or even considered getting involved, I invite you to do so.
All the best until next time,
Don Seccombe AM